Me and my wife had a pleasure of doing Santa Cruz trek with Gilf and his Colonia Adventure team. Even though we trek during the rainy season and it rained about 70% of the time, we still had one of the best trekking experiences.
We had experiences in doing high altitude trek in the Himalayas and Karakoram before and we could say that his services are top notch.
Let me tell you why we had one of the best trekking experiences because:
1) Gilf is a superb mountain guide who is very knowledgeable, polite, humble, caring, and fun. He taught us about the nature (flowers and fauna), the culture, and the history of the land.
2) Great equipments (tents) - perfect for super wet season
3) His teams are professionals (cook and mule driver) - great foods, polite, and well-prepared
4) All of the money went to the local people.
5) Eco-friendly - No trash left behind
If you are considering trekking around Huaraz with the support, we highly recommended Gilf and Colonia Adventures.